I don’t count at the gym. Not asking for support. I’m just saying that I do not count. Literally. I do not waste time saying “1…2…3…4…” I know how to count. I mastered that before I mastered not scratching my bum in public. (Who really masters that?) If I’m at the gym, there’s no reason I cannot use that time to go over lists. Currently, these are my lists and time markers:
- for time when I can’t look at my watch or see a clock (45 – 60 seconds): recite the 50 states
- for time when I just do something until I cannot (eg. planks): map (currently working on Africa)
- for 12-15 reps: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100, 121, 144, 169, 196, 225
- for things I do slowly or very little of (eg: push-ups or heavier weights): “H hydrogen, He helium, Li lithium, … I’m only up to oxygen. As I memorise them, I’ll recite them chunks of 5-10 as the earlier ones get memorised. Later, I’ll switch to German.
- for later after the elements, capitals (states and countries), and presidents.
You have not had fun at the gym until you grunt BORON or KOHLENSTOFF. Not so sure I want to grunt BUSH in a gym. I doubt anyone would assume I’m going over the presidents.
Just file this under ways I keep myself from ever being cool.