One thing that I really love about Australia is their ability to give anything a nickname. Presents? Pressies. Breakfast? Brekky. Biscuits (cookies–our biscuits are scones)? Bickies or bikkies. Football (Aussie rules or rugby)? Footie.
People are no exception. My favourite nickname habit is converting all the middle-R names into double-Zs:
- Barry to Bazza or Baz (Baz Luhrmann)
- Darryl and Darren to Dazza/Daz
- Garry to Gazza/Gaz
- Kerry and Karen to Kezza and Kazza
- Sharon and Shona to Shazza
- Sherry and Terry to Shezza and Tezza.
Maybe you have seen this Dazza:
(My advice to you is to NOT click on the Baz and Shaz mouse thing. Trust me. Let my mistake benefit someone.)
But Larry, Blair, and Mary? No changes. I don't think that's fair. Even if it falls under "life is not fair", it's not consistent, which is illegal in some areas. C'mon. If you azza-up one, you should azza-up the others.
There are other good nicknames:
- Theresa to Tesso
- Kimberly and Kim (man's Kim) to Kimbo
- Glen to Glenno, Rob to Robbo
- Julia to Julz, Liz to Lizzle.
They're obsessed. Trust me.
Over the last few weeks, I've been making it a goal to get Australia consistent. If Barry can become Baz, then every -erry should.
So to all of you out there:
It's time to squeeze in a little hop between opening presents, looking for the receipt to take back the leather undies, and drowning out the stress of paying for it all.
The rules that make Santa Hop put you on the nice list:
- Link up your pet blog name and URL using the Linky Tool below. You only need to add your link once to be seen on all the Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop Linky Tools for that week. Note that if your blog is not pet related your link will be removed.
- Grab the “Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop” button at the upper left of this blog and include it in your Saturday Blog hop post so that your readers will know what is going on. *Note – posting is optional. Feel free to just link and follow.
- Follow your co-hosts listed in the first 3 slots of the Linky Tool.
- Follow as many other blogs on the linky as you’d like.
- Take a moment to comment on the blogs telling them you’re from the blog hop.
- Follow back when you get a new follower through the Saturday Pet Bloggers Blog Hop.
The little elves who are participating this week: